Different states have different laws and common practices when it comes to buying a home. Here are 4 important things to know if you’re thinking of buying a home in Florida.
1. Attorneys are Not Required at Closing.
• Most Florida real estate transactions are closed with title agents
• Many title companies have real estate attorneys on staff for as-needed consultations
• You may, of course, retain the services of a licensed real estate attorney at any point in your Florida real estate transaction, at your cost
2. Insurance is Important.
• In addition to homeowner’s insurance, your lender may require flood insurance
• Homes with older roofs, or roofs that do not meet certain wind mitigation standards, may be tougher to insure, often requiring higher premiums
• Your insurer may charge a higher rate if your home has older plumbing (e.g., galvanized pipes), outdated electrical, or doesn’t have hurricane shutters (or hurricane impact windows and doors)
• Get an insurance quote as soon as your contract is signed and finalize the details well in advance of your closing date
3. Florida is a Homestead State.
• Florida homeowners can file for a homestead exemption worth up to $50,000 (home must be your primary residence)
• The exemption reduces the amount of property taxes Florida homeowners must pay, and limits how much their taxes can increase each year
4. It’s Important to Use a Realtor.
• You don't need to know everything about buying and selling real estate if you hire a Premier Listings real estate professional. We will guide you every step of the way.
• Agents take the spam out of your property showings and visits. Your time is precious. We will make sure you don’t waste yours!
• We will identify comparable sales PLUS information that isn’t readily available. For example, you may know that a home down the street was on the market for $350,000, but an agent will know specifics like upgrades etc.
• Based on market supply, demand and the conditions, we will devise a negotiation strategy to make sure you get the best deal possible.
• Data such as the average price per square foot, average sales prices, days on market and ratios of list-to-sold prices, among other things, will have a huge bearing on the buying process. Our agents will provide this useful information.
• We are skilled at what we do! We are professionals who are trained to present your offer in the best light and get your offer accepted.
• Today's purchase agreements run about 12 pages. That does not include the federal- and state-mandated disclosures. One tiny mistake or omission could land you in court or cost you thousands. Let us guide you through this.
• Premier Listings’ has a large network of agents and inventory. We have information before everyone else – such as homes that haven’t hit the market yet and more.
• Premier Listings’ agents are always available to make your transaction smooth and stress-free! Don’t go it alone.