Monday, August 3, 2020 / by Jordana Tobel
A bad time to sell? Well, no. A bad decision to buy? Absolutely not. What's REALLY happening in the South Florida real estate market?
To those outside the industry, it may feel different but there are facts and circumstances in today's world that simply make this market unlike any other. Those of us who were around for the 2008 Recession may have some moments that feel like deja vu, but the truth is that this is nothing like the last recession.
Let's dispel the top three myths:
MYTH #1. It's a bad time to sell a home.
Yes, we are in a pandemic and unemployment is an issue, however despite that fact, there are many buyers frantically looking for a place to call home. At the same time, many homeowners are choosing not to sell and thus new home listings plunged 14% in early July compared to last year at the same time. Total inventory is also down 32% year over year. That means the current buyer demand is higher than the seller supply.
If you are considering selling, now is a great ti. ...
Thursday, April 9, 2020 / by Jordana Tobel
There are a number of important factors that will prevent a repeat of what happened in 2007 and 2008.
One of those factors is that we learned our lesson. The government is reacting and they are reacting quickly. Just last week, the FHA “immediate foreclosure and eviction moratorium for homeowners for the next 60 days.
In the early 2000s, homeowners were using their homes like ATMs and taking large amounts of cash out. When prices began to drop, those same homeowners didn’t care, they just walked way, they had no skin in the game. Today, the homeowner equity situation is entirely different. As a comparison, from 2005-2007, mericans cashed out over 825 billion worth of equity from their homes. In the last three years, they cashed out only 232 billion, less than 1/3 that amount. Not only that, 37% of Americans have no mortgage at all. Of the remaining 63%, more than 1 in 4 have over 50% equity.
In addition to the factors above, the government is providing small business an. ...
Wednesday, March 18, 2020 / by Jordana Tobel
Let’s start by looking at the bigger picture and the national market:
The national housing market’s high demand and low inventory in recent months has caused prices to rise.. The 30-year fixed mortgage rate averaged 3.45% for the week ending Feb. 27, compared to a year ago at the same time when it averaged 4.35%, according to Freddie Mac. That rate is the lowest in three years. These low rates have fueled recent sales activity: there was a 9.6% increase year-over-year from January 2019 to January 2020. Additionally, new home sales reached their highest level since 2007.
Now comes Corona:
There is no doubt the coronavirus outbreak, now labeled a pandemic by the World Health Organization (with more than 118,000 cases, 4,000 deaths and a foothold in every continent), will have an impact on the housing market. Anyone who says otherwise is in denial. The stock markets plummeted because of concern over corporate health and plunging revenues. The supply chain of approxim ...